Saturday, October 4, 2008

Seeing a sports doctor

My left ankle has been giving me much trouble in the past few months. The ghost of an old sprain has returned to bother me. It gets particularly painful on my Tuesday runs. I had gone about a mile when it got inflammed and I just couldn't go on. I walked a bit and tried to resume running but couldn't cover much distance. Did about 2.5 miles of a frustrating run/walk. I tried to look up this type of injury on the web. It wasn't a shin splint or an ITB. All I could find was that repetitive ankle sprains can become serious problems for athletes. The suggested remedies are the common ones like taping up the ankle. Since the race was in a month's time, I freaked out and made up my mind to see a sports doctor.

I have an appointment with Dr. Jordan Metzel for next Wednesday. He is a sports doctor and an athlete himself. He has also been to Beijing with the US Olympics team as a medic. My coaches love him. http://www.hss.edu/physicians_metzl-jordan.asp Fortunately, he accepts my insurance plan. I am seeing him in the week after my 20-miler. So if he orders me rest, it will be during the taper-down period. Hope my ankle gets better with his Midas touch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment