Friday, October 17, 2008

10/13 The 15-miler

Events leading to the 15-miler: I had ended the 20-miler in dismal shape. I went to see the PCP at the univ health service in hope that she would give me a referral to see Dr. Metzel. My insurance doesn't cover off-campus medical services without a referral. She blew me off, "Get some rest. Run on soft surface." I had to cancel my appointment with the sports doctor.

That week I went down with cough and common cold and couldn't run at all. I missed the Saturday run and decided to do it on Monday morning. Set off from the Northwest corner of CP on the 6-mile loop. I was aware of weakness due to last week's sickness and was running slow. Passed by the deserted Asha tree. Got on to the Harlem Hill segment. On the 6th mile I felt the same pain in the side of the knee. Stretched and resumed to complete the loop. I was also feeling a bit dizzy and wasn't sure of going on. Called Laukik. He said I should do atleast 3-4 miles more. I decided to run around the reservoir. I was feeling much better after having a Gu gel. I ran to the reservoir, did 2 loops and walked back. My right knee was killing me by then. I could feel the soreness in the side of my right thigh. I panicked thinking, "If I get this pain on the 6th mile on race day, how am I going to do the remaining 20?" Called univ health service for another appointment. Managed to get a referral to a physical therapist.

I have had two sessions with the PT this week. I have got Illio-Tibial Band syndrome. The IT band is a muscle at the side of the thighs from knee to hip. It rubs against the femur bone and gets sore. My IT band wasn't moving smoothly and was rubbing against the bone. The PT taped up my knees and gave me some stretches for ITB, hamstring, calves, quads. I also bought a foam roller to massage the ITB muscle and have been rolling on it twice a day. On Wednesday, I ran 4 miles with the taped up knees and had no pain. On my second visit, the PT taught me how to tape my knees. She also did some work on my lower back to relieve some muscles. I have 2 more sessions with the PT next week. She will work on my bad ankle and knees. The litmus test is tomorrow's 8-miler. If I can run 8 miles tomorrow with taped knees and no pain, I can hope to cross the finish line next Sunday. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment