Monday, August 11, 2008

Week of 7/20-26 Crete, Greece



I was attending a lecture series in Greece this week. I was staying in Heraklion, Crete close to the harbor. The harbor had a Venetian fortress and a breakwater, a barricade protecting it from the sea waves. It jutted right into the sea and had a 1.5 mile stretch of tar road which was out of bounds for motor vehicles. You would usually find tourists and locals strolling around. I was one of the few freaks who ran up and down this stretch for completing my scheduled runs. The road was pretty much flat and an easy run except that the heat and humidity in summer makes breathing difficult.

Mileage: 2+4+4+9=19 miles

I managed to do the long run 5-7 am in the morning. I deserve a pat on the back for it. 6 laps of that road with a bottle of water in hand. Laukik joined me for a major part of the run. He did 6 miles that day, the longest he has ever run. We had to get back in time to pack up, have breakfast, checkout from the hotel in time for our ferry at 9:30 am. Vacation time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment