Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week of 9/1 to 9/7

This week was quite peaceful in terms of the long run. I had to do just 6 miles on Saturday so I skipped going to the Asha tree and ran with Laukik in Riverside Park instead. This was also the weekend of hurricane Hannah. She was supposed to hit us that afternoon. Saturday morning, the sky was completely overcast and burdened with humidity touching almost 100% and not a whiff of wind.

We took a slow start and I soon realized that it was impossible to breathe through the nose, I was almost choking on the vapour. I switched to breathing through my mouth and noticed a significant difference in my performance. All this while, I had been struggling to keep up with the running and going out of breath quickly. The wheezing bothered me.

Breathing through my mouth let me take large gulps of air. Another advantage was that I could keep my lower jaw slack and that in turn slackened my shoulders, arms and back. I was spending less energy in maintaining my form.

My running has gotten better ever since and has got me feeling quite upbeat.

Mileage = 6+5+6+2 = 19 miles

Saturday afternoon, Hannah struck. It rained heavily for the rest of the day and night. It felt just like in Mumbai. I love the rain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment